"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Goodbye, my friend.

Today is my 28th birthday.

I still sleep with my baby blanket.

I love that little blanket.

My blanket is barely hanging on.

It must be retired. Today is the day.

My blanket has been with me for 28 years. I can only think of three times when I didn't have it. The first is when I was 5 or 6 and Mom decided that I was too old to be sleeping with my blanket so she tried to take it away, well I found it later and that was that.
The second time was when I was in 6th grade, my friends made fun of me for having my blanket. It was so soft, I just had to hold it in my hands and have that lovely softness there as a comfort! So I hid it in the back of my closet trying to wean myself off, but I ended up in the back of the closet every night so I could hold it before bed. I remember falling asleep many a times in the closet. I finally just gave up.
The last attempt was when I moved away from home and went to college. It lasted about 3 months, I couldn't handle it. It was too much!!!
It's been there when I cried myself to sleep or when I was sick, it was always there. I even took it on vacations and sleepovers. I would just hide it inside of my pillowcase and nobody was the wiser.
Though I hate it. It's time for my blanket to be retired. I took some last pictures with it, fluffed it for the last time and then put it in an airtight bag and went into my hope chest. However, I have to have something soft to sleep with, so I had to find a replacement. It will never actually replace my blanket but it'll do. On my way to Target tonight, I got teary just thinking about it. I'm so ridiculous!!! I'm sure I looked like an idiot walking down the baby isle feeling every blanket to find the best one. I finally found one that will do.... I guess we'll see!

Here are some pics from the begining to the end.

Oh, I'd really love it if nobody made fun of me for my silly hair. You'll know it when you see it. I didn't have a choice. Mom cut my hair :)

I was about six weeks old in these two pictures.




I had wrapped baby Tony up in my blanket and rocked him to sleep. If you look close at my hands you'll notice that I'm plucking at the blanket like I have always have. It's softer that way!



Here it is now. IT'S SEE THROUGH!!!




This is the new one. I hope it's good!

2 comments:

Ben and Ashlee said...

I hope that your new blanket can be a great companion to you as your old one was.... :) I think it is great that you still have it! I still have my blanket, and every once in a while I will pull it out and use it, and it rips somewhere everytime without fail because my foot or something always seems to get stuck! haha! happy birthday!!!

Heather said...

Oh my Stacie, I almost cried a little bit for you! I love that it is completely see through, mine is double sided so it is falling apart and has many a holes, but it is not see through. You have inspired me. Maybe I should "retire" mine too....on second thought maybe I'll wait till the baby is born, what is a couple more months right?