"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown

Friday, October 23, 2009

Kids always say the darnedest things, don't they? At least that's what "they" say. Who's "they" by the way???

Anyway, on to my point. I love kids and their antics. I get to experience lots of funny things. Here are a few of my favorites...

One of my favorite kid stories was when I was getting two children ready for their physicals. While I was measuring their height, the first boy (we'll call him Jimmy) was about 4 or 5 years old and I told him he was 37 inches tall. His brother, about 8 years old, was 43 3/4 inches tall. As I told him how tall he was, little Jimmy got very upset, he told me he wanted three quarters too. He thought he was getting jipped.

We had a little girl in the office who was there for her check-up. She was very concerned about having to get a shot. I assured her she wasn't getting a shot, but she was still wary. After doing everything I needed to do I left the room. I went to the next room down the hall to give another child some vaccines. Right after giving the shots and the baby is screaming, I hear at the top of her lungs the girl yelling "THEY KILL PEOPLE IN HERE, LET'S GO!" Of course mom was mortified and we all got a good laugh. Yes, indeed that is what I do for a living. I kill people :)(that was a joke, I don't really kill people...)

I have so many more stories, but suddenly I can't think of any.... maybe I'll remember soon.

I know it sounds terrible but for the most part I'm so used to giving shots I don't really think another thing of it. However, there are some times when I feel terrible. I once had a little 15 month old baby who before I gave his shots came right up to me, gave me a hug and snuggled his little head into my neck. It broke my heart to give him his shots. Another time, I had a little kindergartner who so dreamily told me how pretty I was. Oh Jeez!! But a job's got to be done. If it weren't for their own good, I don't know if I could do it. The worst thing is when a Mom cries. I feel terrible. Like I just hurt her baby.

At the end of the day whether it's good or bad, funny stories or sad stories, parents yelling and screaming or sending "thank-you" notes, I love my job. People ask sometimes why I don't go on to nursing school, the reason is this. Most nurses end up in hospitals because very few offices can afford a R.N. these days, and I love being able to do what I do. I love that I work in a small office that I get to know many of the patients well. I love it when they come in and not only do I know them, they know me. It makes me happy.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sure you're fantastic at your job! I can't picture you harming a fly so the thought of you just giving shots at will is kind of funny.

Stacie said...

Ha ha ha, in the summner time when there are flies everywhere I go crazy with the swatter. But thanks!!

MB said...

I think you're great at what you do. I'm glad you do it. I would want to take Asher to YOU :)