"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Our third and final port of call was Ocho Rios, Jamaica. My mom, dad and Anthony went on one tour while the rest of us went on another. Mom, Dad and Anthony went to the Dunn's River Falls, which is the most famous falls in Jamaica. Mom and Anthony hiked up the falls and then they all three got to lay on the beach in little cabanas and get massaged and eat jerked meat. In Jamaica the people there are what some might call "pushy" and they'll get you to do just about anything. In fact, one lady insisted she needed to braid my dad's beard/stash. It was funny! Very festive. I have to say I laughed pretty hard when I saw it because I just didn't expect it and it caught me off guard. I feel bad. I hope Dad doesn't think I was laughing at him. Just at the silliness of it!!
Gwen, Mark, Ken, Becky, Amy and I all went on a tour that took us on a sky ride over the rain forest and then on to a bobsled ride. The ride up the mountain was gorgeous, lots of lush green forest that was like a canopy. Big spiders and pretty flowers were all part of the scenery. Mark and Ken were a little scared of the heights but did well! The bobsled ride was great fun. It was just like a roller coaster ride, very exhilarating. After the bobsled, Gwen, Becky and I all decided to go on the zip line. The zip line was great, we got to zip through the rain forest. To say it was so much fun wouldn't be enough to describe how great it was! Our tour guides for that were hilarious... everyone is a comedian! Afterwards we went back to the shops down by the boat. That is where we all got attacked.... As long as you didn't make eye contact and said "NO" pretty firmly you were okay but that was pretty hard to do. I think we all left Jamaica with more than we intended to because of how pushy they are.
Jamaica is also famous for their rum. Every shop we entered we were offered free samples (which were shots) and if you really wanted to get drunk it would only have taken a few free samples to get you there. On the beach where my family were, they also had a lot of free rum. Both my dad and Anthony were not only approached but the man tipped their heads back and poured rum down their throats. Anthony freaked out because he isn't old enough. He told the man that he was only 19 and his response was "It's okay, Mon!" But it really wasn't. Jamaica as beautiful. Lots of different options as far as scenery but mentally exhausting with all the hounding and pressuring from the people. Interesting life experience.



1 comment:

Ben and Ashlee said...

Jamica Looks really pretty! I am glad that you all had fun!