"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."
-Charlie Brown

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cozumel, Mexico

Our first port was in Cozumel, Mexico. It was gorgeous. Our excursion was a beach buggy ride, snorkeling, visiting some Mayan ruins, see a lighthouse and a visit to a crocodile. Our tour guides Santiago and J.C. were great. I loved them, they were a hoot. The beach buggy ride was great, the buggy we were in (Uncle Mark, Aunt Gwen and I) didn't have seat belts that worked and a speedometer that worked. It was also open on all sides. It was a little scary at first. Mark drove the first half then I drove the second. I stalled the buggy once (it was a manual... I should know better) and ran into the buggy in front of me only once.
Once we got to the beach we got all ready to snorkel, they gave us a quick tutorial on how to snorkel (I didn't listen much to what they were saying... my bad) then we headed into the water. It was so beautiful. Aqua teal water, white sand beaches, hammocks and chairs with umbrellas. Ideal vacation setting to say the least. So, back to snorkeling, we got into the water everyone puts on their snorkel masks, heads right into the water and off we go. Well, I had some problems. Every time I'd stick my head in the water my mask would fill up with water and then I'd choke. Finally figured out my hair was in the way, got that fixed. Santiago (the guide) was helping me to try to get it all working, but then I just couldn't figure out how to breath only through my mouth and would panic every time. I just need more practice. Maybe next time. I was so disappointed in myself but what can you do. My dad didn't get to do it either because he couldn't get the mask to work around his "stash" and Amy had the same problems I did. But everyone else did great. According to Anthony they saw lots of little fish, coral and even a sting ray. Of course we didn't think to give him a waterproof camera so we didn't get many pictures of that.
After snorkeling we got to relax and eat some authentic Mexican food. We then went back to the buggy's and went to the lighthouse. A few of us climbed up the 133 steps to get to the top of the lighthouse. The view was incredible. We then got to see some old ruins and visit the crocodile. After all of that and going back to town we went shopping. Shopping in Mexico is pretty exciting. Learning to barter was tricky but by then end I got it down. I couldn't believe how many jewelry stores there were. I bet just about every other shop sold jewelry. While we were finishing up shopping we got to see a very pretty sunset. It was a nice ending to a great day. I think we were all exhausted by the end but had a great time.

No comments: